Fiona the Hippo Article

The author of this article is by Rachel Syme. The name of this article is “Hooray for Fiona the Hippo, Our Bundle of Social-Media Joy”. This article comes from The New York Times. She published it on November 25, 2017. The web address for this article is https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/style/Fiona-the-hippo.html

The article brings the reader’s attention because Fiona is a famous baby hippo that was born premature. The article is about a famous premature baby hippo, Fiona. She was born premature and needed help right away and couldn’t breathe or nurse on her own. Fiona will be 12-months-old on January 24th. Fiona was born at  Cincinnati Zoo in Cincinnati, Ohio. Fiona is famous because she was the first ever hippo to survive being premature. She got through this by being helped by the veterinarians and employees helping her breathe and being by her side 24/7. I think out of all the five “W’s” and “H”, the “What” is the most important because it tells what the article is all about. This event was national. People were surprised of how Fiona had survived being premature. The whole country heard about Fiona because she is one of a kind. The main idea about this article is that Fiona the Hippo was the first ever hippo to survive being born too premature and she went viral all over the country. I think the author did not put the facts from most important to least important.

Yes, this article came from a wire service. Some sources in the article are Michelle Curley, who has a Fiona tattoo on the back of her neck, and Mifflin Harcourt, the zoo director. A quote from the article “I feel like I represent Beyoncé,” said the Cincinnati zoo’s vice president of marketing. “People fly across the world to just catch a glimpse.”

The one interesting thing I found out about Fiona was that she was six weeks premature and she survived it. The normal weight for a full term hippo is 55 between 120 lbs. She only weighed 29 and birth. My question after reading this article is; What is the percentage of surviving being born 6 weeks premature for hippos? I would like to learn what Fiona would do everyday.